The Andean Regional Office of Astronomy for Development (ROAD) was formally created in October 2015. Its main mission is to collaborate with the Office of Astronomy for Development to help further the use of astronomy as a tool for development by mobilizing the human and financial resources necessary in order to realize the field’s scientific, technological and cultural benefits to society.
The Andean ROAD gathers 20+ institutions in Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela. Its coordinators are hosted at three collaborating institutions: Universidad de Los Andes (Colombia), Parque Explora-Planetario de Medellín (Colombia), and Sociedad Chilena de Astronomía (Chile)
In this workshop at LARIM2016 we want to:
- Present the current activities of the OAD and the Andean ROAD.
- Introduce the development principles that the OAD and the Andean ROAD follow to create impact.
- Invite the LARIM community to join forces with the OAD and Andean ROAD.
Part 1. Current activities (2PM - 3PM)
- Piero Benvenuti. The importance of the OAD to the IAU. (15 min)
- Ramasamy Venugopal. Astronomy for Development in the Latin American region. (15 min)
- Sze-leung Cheung. Astronomy for Everyone - the IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach. (15 min)
- Jaime Forero-Romero. The Andean Regional Office of Astronomy for Development. (15 min)
Part 2. Working for impact (3PM - 4PM)
- Ramasamy Venugopal. Working towards impact. (15 min)
- Jaime Forero Romero. Development views from America. (15 min)
- Pablo Abitbol. Introduction to Development Theories. (30 min)
Part 3. Roads to collaboration (4PM - 5PM)
- Hugo Levato, Beatriz Garcia, Guillermo Bosch. Argentinian involvement with the OAD (20 min).
- Open participation from the public.
Dates and Location
- Date and time: October 5, 2016. 2PM - 5PM
- Location: Room 303-A.
- Jaime Forero (Uniandes, Colombia)
- Germán Chaparro (UECCI, Colombia)
- Angela Perez (Planetario Medellin, Colombia)
- Farid Char (U. Antofagasta, Chile)
- Kevin Govender (OAD, South Africa)
- Ramasamy Venugopal (OAD, South Africa)
- Sze-leung Cheung (OAO, Japan)
- Piero Benvenuti (IAU)
- Pablo Abitbol (U. Tec. Bolivar, Colombia)
- Hugo Levato (Argentina)
- Beatriz Garcia (Argentina)
- Guillermo Bosch (Argentina)
Germán Chaparro: gchaparrom ecci.edu.co
Jaime E. Forero-Romero: je.forero uniandes.edu.co